Sister Mary T. Johnson, of the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany, returned to the Lord July 1, 2015, in the St. Elizabeth Motherhouse Health Care Center, at the age of 99.
Sister Mary was born May 13, 1916, in New York City, to Oscar and Della (O'Donnell) Johnson. She took courses of study in business and medical records at New York Business School and the City College of New York before joined the Sisters of St. Francis in 1942, professing her final vows in 1949.
She served as medical records librarian at St. Clare's Hospital in New York City, also serving as the hospital's administrator and director. In 1974, she was transferred to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden, N.J., where she supervised the family health center and managed medical records.
Sister Mary stayed in New Jersey until the early 1980s, when she became local coordinator for the St. Francis Residence in Tampa, Fla. There, she cared for retired sisters until 1988. After this, she continued to serve in a volunteer capacity at St. Francis Hospital in Miami Beach, Fla., until 1992.
In 1993, Sister Mary retired, living in St. Elizabeth Convent in Tampa until 1993, after which she returned to the Diocese of Buffalo to the St. Elizabeth Motherhouse.
She is survived by many of her nieces and nephews.
A funeral Mass was held in the chapel of St. Elizabeth Motherhouse, with burial in St. Bonaventure Cemetery in Allegany.