Sister Mary Marguerite Brylinski died Nov. 17, 2015, in the Blessed Mary Angela Care Center in Buffalo. She was 100 years old.
The former Clare Brylinski was born Feb. 25, 1915, in Buffalo, to Constantine and Frances (Swierkowski) Brylinski, and attended Mass at Assumption Parish in Buffalo. She joined the Felician Sisters in 1932 and professed perpetual vows in 1940.
Sister Marguerite received a bachelor of science from Canisius College in Buffalo, after which she served as an educator for 42 years. She taught at Sacred Heart School in Syracuse for 12 years before serving at St. Michael School in Dunville, Ontario from 1967-1969. After returning to New York state, she taught for one year in the Diocese of Ogdensburg at St. Peter School in Lowville.
In the Diocese of Buffalo, Sister Marguerite continued her teaching ministry, serving as a teacher and principal at St. Valentine School in Buffalo. She also taught religious education at several parishes, including Most Precious Blood in Angola, St. Teresa of Avila in Akron, St. Mary in Mayville and Holy Spirit in North Collins. She also served in parish ministry at St. Teresa of Avila.
In 1994, Sister Marguerite began living at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Provincial House Convent in Buffalo, moving to the St. Francis Residence Convent in Buffalo from 1995-2006. After this, she became a patient in the Blessed Mary Angela Care Center.
She is survived by nieces and nephews.
A funeral Mass was held in the Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent Chapel in Buffalo, with burial in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga.