Msgr. Anthony J. Caligiuri, a retired diocesan priest and former Director of Communications for the Diocese of Buffalo, died July 27 in Brothers of Mercy Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Clarence. He was 92.
Msgr. Caligiuri was born Feb. 16, 1924, in Buffalo, to Rosario and Sebastiana (Giampaolo) Caligiuri. He went to Diocesan Preparatory Seminary in Buffalo before attending Christ the King Seminary at St. Bonaventure University, where he received bachelor's and master's degrees. In 1949, Bishop John F. O'Hara ordained the young priest in St. Joseph's New Cathedral in Buffalo.
Msgr. Caligiuri initially served in a missionary apostolate at St. Helen's in Hinsdale before serving as assistant pastor of St. Anthony Parish in Batavia and Holy Cross in Buffalo. Msgr. Caligiuri also served as a manager of the former Emergency Hospital and director of the Inner City Apostolate.
In 1964, he was named pastor of St. Columba Parish in Buffalo, during which he supervised the construction of a school at that parish. In 1969, he began serving as assistant chancellor of the diocese and became the director of the Office of Communications at the Catholic Center in downtown Buffalo. Two years later, Msgr. Caligiuri was appointed to the Board of Consultors, and was made a monsignor in 1972.
His longest assignment was as pastor of St. Peter Parish in Lewiston, where he served from 1977 until his 1999 retirement. In 1993, St. John Paul II bestowed the title of "prothonotary apostolic" on him.
Msgr. Caligiuri was the brother of Msgr. Angelo M. Caligiuri, Michael (late Louise), the late Joseph (Joan), and Mary (late William) Witherspoon. He is also survived by his siblings' families.
Visitation will be held on Friday, July 29, from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. at the Amigone Funeral Home, 5200 Sheridan Drive, Williamsville, at the corner of Hopkins. Visitation will also take place at St. Peter's Church in Lewiston on Saturday, July 30, from 9 to 11 a.m. The Mass of Christian Burial, which will be celebrated by Bishop Edward M. Grosz, will begin at 11 a.m. St. Peter's Church is located at 620 Center St, Lewiston.