Catholic Cemeteries of Buffalo will again participate in, "Serving God and Country: A Memorial Day Salute to Our Heroes," the annual Memorial Day program developed by the Catholic Cemetery Conference.
"As we pause the remember our military fallen, our Masses are a sacred opportunity for our Catholic cemeteries to honor the selfless sacrifices of so many men and women who faithfully served our great nation," said Carmen Colao, diocesan director of Catholic Cemeteries of Buffalo.
"Serving God and Country: A Memorial Day Salute to Our Heroes," invites active military and veterans to participate in a Memorial Day Mass and other cemetery-related activities throughout the weekend. Families and friends will be able to sign messages on special tribute boards which will be located in each of the Catholic Cemeteries of Buffalo.
Memorial Day Masses will be celebrated on Saturday, May 23, 10 a.m., at:
• Holy Cross Cemetery, Lackawanna; Father David Glassmire, pastor, Ascension Parish, Batavia, celebrant
• Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Lewiston; Msgr. Thomas Moran, pastor, St. Bernard Parish,Youngstown, celebrant
• Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Cheektowaga; Father David Bellittiere, pastor, 14 Holy Helpers Parish, West Seneca, celebrant
• Mount Olivet Cemetery, Kenmore; Msgr. Francis Weldgen, Catholic Cemeteries board member, celebrant
On Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, 10 a.m., Masses will be celebrated at:
• Queen of Heaven Cemetery, Lockport; Father James Waite, pastor, St. John the Baptist Parish, Lockport, celebrant
• St. Adalbert Cemetery, Lancaster; Father James Walter, retired priest of the diocese, celebrant
Open houses will follow the Masses at each the Catholic cemeteries.