WASHINGTON - Pope Francis' apostolic journey to the United States is "a source of joy and gratitude," said the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops in response to the release of the full visit schedule by the Vatican, June 30. Pope Francis will visit Washington, New York and Philadelphia, September 22-27. His visit will include addresses to Congress and the United Nations, the canonization of Blessed Junípero Serra and will culminate in his participation in the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia.
"It's a source of joy and gratitude for U.S. Catholics that Pope Francis will be visiting us this September," said Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz of Louisville, Kentucky, USCCB president. "We look forward to journeying with him, whether in person, in prayer or via the media, as he goes out to the peripheries and shows us what it means to live as brothers and sisters in one family."
All times listed are Eastern Daylight Time.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 (WASHINGTON, DC)
▪ 4:00 p.m. Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 (WASHINGTON, DC)
▪ 9:15 a.m. Meeting with President Obama at the White House
▪ 11:30 a.m. Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew's Cathedral
▪ 4:15 p.m. Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilicia of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK CITY)
▪ 9:20 a.m. Address to Joint Session of the United States Congress
▪ 11:15 a.m. Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
▪ 4 p.m. Depart from Joint Base Andrews
▪ 5 p.m. Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport
▪ 6:45 p.m. Evening Prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick's Cathedral
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 (NEW YORK CITY)
▪ 8:30 a.m. Visit to the United Nations and Address to the United Nations General Assembly
▪ 11:30 a.m. Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
▪ 4 p.m. Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem
▪ 6 p.m. Mass at Madison Square Garden
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 (NEW YORK CITY, PHILADELPHIA)
▪ 8:40 a.m. Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport
▪ 9:30 a.m. Arrival at Atlantic Aviation, Philadelphia
▪ 10:30 a.m. Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia
▪ 4:45 p.m. Visit to Independence Mall
▪ 7:30 p.m. Visit to the Festival of Families Benjamin Franklin Parkway
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (PHILADELPHIA)
▪ 9:15 a.m. Meeting with bishops at at St. Martin's Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
▪ 11 a.m. Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
▪ 4 p.m. Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway
▪ 7 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, Atlantic Aviation
▪ 8 p.m. Departure for Rome
More information on the apostolic journey to the United States is available at www.uspapalvisit.org.